Sunday, July 29, 2007

More Yanks Abroad! Lichaj Signs for Aston Villa, Adu for Benfica!

Words fresh from Yanks Abroad:

"University of North Carolina sophomore defender Eric Lichaj has left school and signed with English Premier League participants Aston Villa." And get this: Eric has a broken foot. Villa liked this kid so much, they signed him injured.

I personally haven't seen this kid. I know that he's only 18 years old and that he debuted for the U-17 MNT at 14. He was the top defender in Parade Magazine's All-American High School picks last year alongside Brian Perk, Jon Villaneuva, and Jozy Altidore. I know he was called up to one of Rongen's prep camps for the U-20 World Cup but I'm assuming his foot injury kept him out of action.

Anyways, this kid is a standout talent. YA says he'll be playing with Aston Villa's reserves by September. He's signed for two years, so he'll have to impress Martin O'Neill in this short amount of time, but more power to him. I hope he makes the most of it.

--------------------------------------------

I don't know if you guys realize, but when I first posted about Freddy's move to Portugal, I kept mum about my prediction that the deal would be finalized by the weekend. Blimey but I was right.

Freddy Adu is finally headed to Europe. And Ives corroborates.

This is good for everyone: Freddy, Benfica, MLS, even United. Real Salt Lake get their 400k and DCU gets 150k as well as a draft pick. I'm mad about one thing though: Sal Zizzo made the jump before Freddy, haha.

Next to go: Danny Szetela. Put money on it. They're already talking about him over in England.

--------------------------------------------

While we're at it, I strongly suggest you check out Parade magazine's All-Americans for 2005. See how many familiar names you count.

Enjoy.

No comments: