Thursday, July 5, 2007

USA Dips Out: Colombia 1-0 US

I've already said enough about the US and the B team coming to Copa. I'm skipping that.

And I've already put in my two cents about the past couple months overall, how it's been a great learning experience and such. So none of that.

And for some real match analysis, go to Ives or something.

I'm in a bad mood and I snoozed most of the way through the USA match. I don't have much to say.

Here's what I got:

- Tim Howard is our number one keeper without a doubt. Brad Guzan deserves serious consideration as our number two. Hahnemann didn't impress me as much when I witnessed his performances for the Nats. Guzan did extremely well, considering that this was a team playing through the sendoff match of a campaign in its death throes. My depth chart: 1) Tim Howard 2) Brad Guzan 3) Marcus Hahnemann 4) Chris Seitz (no, I'm not kidding) 5) Perkins/Reis/etc.

- Bobby Boswell had a respectable performance. He had no Wynne-like glitches, at least. I thought he looked better than both Califf and Pearce.

- Davies also had a respectable performance, and played like he had something to prove (which he did). It's unfortunate he couldn't produce, but he had more passion about the game than either Hercules Gomez or Eddie Johnson. Why he didn't get more Copa minutes than 20-something out of 270 is beyond me.

- I know he has detractors aplenty, but Nguyen is great. I love that kid. He woke me up. He plays with drive, tenacity, and creativity -- the kind of stuff the US needs to win a game, you know? Nguyen is almost like Mapp, only better. With Beasley as a young veteran and Nguyen as a young talent, Bradley has to like his situation out on the left wing. My only problem is, with all his quickness, I don't think he was quite match fit. It seemed like he only had fifteen minutes of fire and then he jogged his way through the rest. I've got a feeling that he is still working his way back from that shoulder surgery from awhile ago. Anyways, I've got high hopes for this kid. I hear he's got plenty of suitors who want him on loan from PSV. He's in a good place right now and he's got nowhere to go but up.

No comments: